Thursday, March 11, 2010

apples: 2 recipes

I LOVE apples. We can't buy them in our local market, but when we go to Kampala I always make sure to buy a bag of apples - most of which I enjoy eating cut up with peanut butter on them! So good. Recently, though, I've been a bit more creative with my apples and made a couple scrumptious apple recipes!

RECIPE #1 - Oma's Platz

If you're mennonite, you know what platz are. If you're not mennonite, you need to make these so that you can experience the goodness of platz! I was craaaaving these last week, and thanks to the internet, my mom sent me the recipe and I could make them the next day. I've always enjoyed my mom's variations of platz - especially apple and rhubarb - but this was my first time making them myself. They're SO easy! I used apple, but I think you can really use any fruit you like. I'm pretty sure blueberry would be deliiiiicious.



Oma's Platz

3 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. instant yeast
1/4 C. oil
3/4 C. water
1 egg

Mix 1 cup flour, salt, sugar and yeast. In a separate bowl, mix oil, water, and egg, and add to dry ingredients.

Gradually add remaining 2 cups flour, kneading dough.

Put in a greased bowl and let rise until double.

Spread on a large cookie sheet. Press in pieces of apple (or other fruit of your choice) and cover the entire pan with the following crumb mixture:

1 C. sugar
1/2 C. flour
1/4 C. butter (cut in)

Bake at 350 for about 15 min, or until lightly browned on the bottom.


RECIPE #2 - Apple Spice Muffins

This recipe needs no explaining, except that it is an easy breakfast recipe that tastes GOOD and is easy to grab and go! I made these this afternoon because we won't be home for breakfast tomorrow, and I already can't wait to have one with butter and jam in the morning!



Apple Spice Muffins
*Adapted from "My African Cookbook"

2 C. flour
1/3 C. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 C. chopped apple
1 egg
1 C. skim milk
3 Tbsp. melted butter

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.

Mix in apple, egg, milk and butter.

Spoon into lightly greased muffin tin.

Bake at 400 for approximately 15 minutes.

*Makes 12 muffins.

2 comments:

  1. Those muffins were yummy! I think I ate several throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops . . . forgot about the Platz . . . it was super yummy too. I'll have to try making it sometime.

    ReplyDelete