Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas in Uganda

This Christmas I had step up to the plate and be in charge of the baking. My husband and I are in Uganda, and I realized if I wanted to enjoy what my mom usually puts so much work into, I'd have to put in the work myself this year! My cookie creations included:

  • gingerbread
  • shortbread
  • molasses
  • wolf schoten
  • mocha pretzel cookies
Thankfully we had a big group of guests to do all the eating!


My favorite of all these cookies are the molasses ones. Even though the dark, sticky molasses we get at home was nowhere to be found in Kampala, they still turned out pretty good (the stars, trees, and angels above)! Here's the recipe!

My Mom's Molasses Cookies

1 C. butter
1 C. + 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 C. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1 C. molasses

Cream butter and sugar.
Sift in dry ingredients and mix.
Add vinegar and molasses. Stir until well combined.
Chill dough at least 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 350. Then roll out the dough, cut into desired shapes, and bake 8-10 min.

Tastes like Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment