Wednesday, February 3, 2010

granola

When we go on shopping trips to Kampala we usually look for good cereal...the local brands that you can buy in town aren't always so good. I love granola because it's healthy, filling, and it tastes good! Making my own saves me a 2 1/2 hour trip to Kampala. :)

Granola

4 C. rolled oats
1/2 C. coconut
1 C. chopped nuts (I used peanuts)
3/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 C. honey
1/3 C. vegetable oil
1/2 t. vanilla
3/4 C. raisins

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine oats, coconut, nuts, salt and cinnamon in large bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine honey, oil and vanilla. Add to oat mixture.
Stir in raisins.
Spread on 2 large, greased baking pans and bake 20-25 min, stirring occasionally.
Store in airtight container in refrigerator.



The original recipe calls for dried apples instead of raisins, and 1/2 a cup of sesame seeds. I didn't have those ingredients available here so I used what I had. Delicious either way!

*Adapted from "More-with-Less Cookbook" by Doris Janzen Longacre

No comments:

Post a Comment